Thursday, May 16, 2013

Unique Item: Flight Helmet


One of my jobs is to look through the collection and record the scope and condition of the objects. Sometimes I get pleasant surprises when I open boxes. Today I am sharing two of those surprises, which happen to fit the steampunk theme. 

These two WWII aviator helmets may be later than Queen Victoria's reign, but they would fit right at home on the head of a steampunk airship pilot.




 

An A-11 flight helmet by Mondl Manufacturing Corporation of Oshkosh. The built-in radio headset is missing. Inside the helmet, the former owner wrote in the date: Feb. 15, 1945. 



A second A-11 flight helmet that has an electrical cord attached to a receiver  The date April 3, 1945 is written on the inside. 


Both helmets don't completely conform to the standard A-11 helmet. They may have incorporated changes made near the end of the war or were prototypes that were not mass produced.

These make me want to jump into the nearest hot air balloon, zeppelin, or biplane and go on an adventure.

Happy flying!

Katrina

2 comments:

  1. I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. female motorcycle helmet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm not talking about just a helmet and gloves. I'm talking about the helmet, the gloves, the jacket, the pants and the boots. BORN TO RIDE' HELMET

    ReplyDelete